Protecting your valuable Korg keyboard
“With great power comes great responsibility” such should be your mindset when you own a valuable instrument, such as the Korg keyboard. It is essential to take proper care of your valuable Korg keyboard in order to avoid damages and any issues that hinder your working hours with the keyboard.
Forewarning, not maintaining your keyboard properly can end up damaging it, which could result in costly repairs and also take valuable time away from your keyboard when it is being repaired. Therefore, please be careful in using your keyboard. Some simple tips can save you a whole lot of time and money.
In India, dust can be a huge issue and so also very high humidity. Therefore keep your keyboard away from high moisture, especially in storage, and in a clean and dry surrounding.
An even bigger threat is power fluctuations, which is prevalent in many regions of India, it can damage your main power supply or some of the critical boards on the keyboard, necessitating costly repairs. Therefore, care should be taken that proper electrical power is used and a clean surrounding is maintained when the keyboard is used and stored.
Here are some basic tips which can help you to protect your precious Korg keyboard and give you many years of hassle free and productive use:
- Avoid running your keyboard on a generator. In case it is essential to run on a generator, it is preferable to run it through a modern silent generator. In the case of slightly older generators, wait for the power supply to stabilize (this is usually 2-3 minutes after the generator starts). Please note that damage caused by power fluctuations and power inefficiencies (like spikes) are not covered under your warranty conditions and it is important that you have stable and consistent power when using your keyboard.
- It is advisable to power the keyboard through a small inverter or run the supply through CVT (Constant Voltage Transformer) especially in areas with high power fluctuations. In either case the power capacity required is a max. of 100 watts. Using a standard voltage stabilizer is not recommended especially since they are unable to handle major fluctuations and take a few seconds to adjust power output which could result in damage.
- Make sure you switch off and unplug your keyboard when not in use.
- When not in use, keep your keyboard covered and protected by using a keyboard bag or case.
- Use a cotton or microfiber cloth to clean the keyboard panel. Do not use any liquid like thinner or other chemicals as it can remove the printing on your keyboard and even damage the body of your keyboard instrument. There is no need to use chemical-based solutions or disinfectants either. If required, dampen the microfiber cloth with water and lightly wipe the keyboard. However, be extra careful to dry your keyboard thoroughly after cleaning.
- In the case of a model with a touch panel display, prevent the touch panel from physical damage. Even a small hairline crack can make the display useless and will need replacement as they are non-repairable. Don’t use scratch guards like films, to protect the screen as they do not work and also create an obstacle in the smooth functioning of the display during performances.
- Use a good quality carrying case in case you are a travelling musician. Flight cases are always advised especially if you have to check in your keyboard on a flight. You may also use good quality, thick foam pad bags while travelling local or short distances.
We hope these small personalised tips prove to be useful in maintaining your keyboard. Your Korg keyboard is as valuable to us, as it is to you. Cherish your instrument with pride and being careful with it will give you many many years of beautiful music making as it has for millions of Korg users all over the world.
Be safe and keep your instrument safe, too.